Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Custom Callsigns Assigned to Units  (Read 673 times)

Black and White

Custom Callsigns Assigned to Units
« on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:35:03 »
I was just wondering if anyone has managed to/knows how to get custom radio call signs ie: "PAPA_BEAR" or "FIREFLY_BASE" whatever, to be assigned to a particular unit...
eg: so then with sidechat i can replace the game callsign ie: Alpha Black 1 with a custom 1: Tango_Sierra_6 or whatever
so then it uses the custom callsign when a unit sidechat's or to gets directed to a medic

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:Custom Callsigns Assigned to Units
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:35:35 »
That is sorta possible. Check the ed depot here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=447

To learn how to replace "Papa Bear" with "Tango_Sierra" or whatever you want. However, you will only see that callsign when you use the command HQ sidechat "message" in a script. You will NOT see the callsign from default game messages, such as when someone in another squad says to cease fire. There is no way to do that without using an addon. Tonal island, for example, adds a number of custom callsigns that you can use, instead of "alpha/bravo/charlie red/black/blue" ect.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Black and White

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:01:24 »
yeah i've already got all my custom callsigns setup with an addon and saying stuff with sideradio, but i want the actual men in the mission to use the callsigns... b/c whats happening is its like a whole platoon in battle, so i want each squad to have a callsign

then if one squad sends a soldier to another squads medic...  {delta black 1: "3 goto medic 9 o'clock"} instead of delta black 1, i want my custom callsign....

so what i really mean is
using setgroupid
how you normally say
{this setgroupid ["alpha","colour"]}
is there anyway of making your own set of those, b/c i know the game allows you to assign "alpha", "bravo", "charlie", "november" ect...
i want to be able to assign a custom callsign...

so perhaps using an addon...
you could then do
{this setgroupid ["Sierra_Mike_5","colour"]}
or something

then also instead of defining each radio message in a stringtable, you'd be able to use sidechat and make them up in the mission editor "on the run" so to speak...

anyways any comments will help
thanx

Black and White

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:03:09 »
Tonal island, for example, adds a number of custom callsigns that you can use, instead of "alpha/bravo/charlie red/black/blue" ect.

Thats exaclty what i want to do...
but i don't know how...

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 04:52:44 »
I don't understand why you first say:
yeah i've already got all my custom callsigns setup with an addon and saying stuff with sideradio
And then you say the exact opposite:
is there anyway of making your own set of those, b/c i know the game allows you to assign "alpha", "bravo", "charlie", "november" ect...
i want to be able to assign a custom callsign...

Like I said before, it is very possible to define your own radio callsigns via an addon; just like in the Tonal addon, for example. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do it, but if you look in the official config, you can find where BIS defined the standard callsigns. Then you can just copy and paste that section into the config for your own addon, and change the names from "alpha"/"bravo"/etc to whatever you want.

However, if you don't want to make a dinky little addon just to give you custom callsigns, you can either (a) make your mission on Tonal, or (b) try to use custom "HQ" callsigns. Other than that, you are outta luck :P

then also instead of defining each radio message in a stringtable, you'd be able to use sidechat and make them up in the mission editor "on the run" so to speak...
You NEVER have to define a radio message in the stringtable. Wherever you would put a reference to the string table, you can instead just use a string in quotes. However, the stringtable is handy because it gives you a SINGLE location you can go to change the radio text used in your mission, instead of having to search through all your triggers/scripts/etc if you want to change the text.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!