Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cargomaster system?  (Read 510 times)

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
Cargomaster system?
« on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:04:27 »
Okay, as maps are getting larger and larger to the point that it's taking some time to drive around, and also for fun factor, I think OFP could use a cargomaster script system to load and transport stuff.

The short of it is this:

a useraction would add a given vehicle and contents (minus passengers) to an array. The vehicle would then be deleted. When the action to unload is called, it would give a list of available units to dump from the selected transport, and createvehicle at a point just outside the ramp of the transport.

However, I can envision various problems with this approach, such as group name transfer between drivers and empty vehicles.

Another solution would be to setpos the vehicles to a offshore dmz, but that would have to be custom setup as well.

Any ideas? I'll have some more later too.

DBR_ONIX

Re:Cargomaster system?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2004, 20:39:39 »
This would be pretty good to have :)
One thing, you need to limit the ammout of stuff that you can shove in one helo etc

I'm sure I saw a BAS little bird carring two Motorbikes on the sides.. Not sure how they done it though.

This script(s) could be use, maybe, with a big free-flowing campain (Where the units in the surounding 500m are created when the player is near enough), and the goal is to capture bases etc..
Y'Know, like a mission that you can have unlimited saves, and you command a big army (The CoC command-enginge thing?)

But, yeah, you could move the item of to a safe location (remote island, maybe), or constatly setpos-ing it at an altitude or 999999999 :) (In a loop with a second or so pause?)

- Ben

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2004, 23:29:52 »
I want to obviously avoid laggage, and pinning something in the sky would likely do that.

What I'm thinking about, is something where on a really large map, you could have a base at one place, drive misc stuff to just behind all sorts of transports (planes and ships) and then 'select' the stuff, action it to 'load', and then it magically disappears until a loadmaster selects stuff to unload.

Okay, thinking as I write.

HomeBase has a hummer and a c-17. HomeBase loadmaster unit has an init designating the map coords of the teleport spot. Loadmaster also has a radio sec. weap. that triggers the functionality, like COC:UA's radio. When the radio is activated, a "aquire transport option" becomes available.

"AquireTransport" will use a getnearestobject to select the plane or ship or truck. This way you can load and unload whatever, without having to name it all. The "BillOfLading" would be pinned to a gamelogic createvehicle'd at the teleport spot. The loadmaster then would getnearestobject the stuff to be loaded, which would then be added to the "BillOfLading" array and setpos'd to the teleport spot. Everybody out?  ;) "CloseBillOfLading" would return to "AquireTransport"

If the transport dies, all the setpos'd stuff would die.

When the transport reaches its destination, the localload master would use "CallLoadMasterOnRadio" to request "ForwardBillOfLading" which would transfer the shipping manifest to the local loadmaster, whoul could then reverse the loading process.

Or so I think.

Any comments?

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:46:57 »
Ok, more clarifications.

The "RequestBillOfLading" action would first getpos the requesting loadmaster, then return all "manifests" within say 25m? of the loadmaster's pos via parsing the master array of manifests.

The local loadmaster could then select a desired manifest, and load/unload it.