Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ocean Textures....  (Read 1073 times)

Offline wired

• Members
  • Explosion Scripter for the [unsung] mod!!!
Ocean Textures....
« on: 18 Apr 2004, 15:26:41 »
 ok, i am usually a scripter/wrpeditor but i hav been learning to make things in 02. I realised that in 02, there is a way you can make semi-transparant textures such as rotor blade spin textures and windscreen textures. I was wondering, using the same kinda thing, if it could be used to make a semi-transparant water texture for ofp. This would allow us to see the textures under the sea and any lil things like the coc_diver or Everon Cartel sub underwater. Plz reply if this possible or if im plain mad :P
We have a problem at 'Oscar-Charlie 2-7' do you read me? Well its that guy with the RPG!

Leone

Re:Ocean Textures....
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2004, 14:42:20 »
You can make replacement textures for the ocean. They are found in Data.pbo (Specular.paa, more_anim_01 - 07.pac from memory). They would have to be installed via a mod like Hisky. Other than that....no.  :)

DBR_ONIX

Re:Ocean Textures....
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2004, 20:05:22 »
Hmm.....
Heres an idea that won't need any mucking around with game pbos :)
Right, make a huuuge, flat square (Well, a face, that is very big) with your new water texture over it.
(In O2)
And copy/paste the top of the square (Top face), and make a new LOD, make it a RoadWay LOD.
Save it in a folder, like water_tex, and name the file water_tex.

BTW, make sure you have the face as big as you need it before you go copying into the other LOD, otherwise you will need to delete them and do it over again.. But it should be fine (You don't need to texture the other LODs, btw :))

Now make it a static object (If you need a config for it, PM me), and make it into a PBO (Again, I can help if you PM me :))

Now, make your island.. but... Select all the terrain, and move it up enough that there is no water...

Now, add in your object with the new water.. it will have to be at the right height (The coastline height, place the object of the end of a beach etc)

Get your island ingame, and it should look okay...
Look... :(

You won't be able to drive boats, and you can walk on the water :( (Though it may look cool :P)

Hmmmmm... In WRPEdit, you can change the flags, ie to default makes any heights under 0 (I think?) water..
What you could do it define all the places that would be underwater as water (Not even sure if you can.. I think you can)

That would explain why if you don't use the default button after you move terrain down, the water won't show (IE from above sea level, to below)
The viewer can't work out where to display water.. Can the game be tricked like this too?

Anyway, if that works (For one, I'm very surprises :P), you can place the underwater objects just like you would normal objects (I guess would would have to make them though..)

Any thoughs, anyone?
- Ben