Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: rivers & tides Idea!?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline cj525

• Members
rivers & tides Idea!?
« on: 20 Jan 2004, 20:14:46 »
I've finished the topo of my ashau valley, and have started to texture it. the valley has a major river running through it but as I've read here the tides function really messes with putting in a river. I was just pondering on leaving my river contours above sea level, and adding a fairly transparent river texture/obj over it (sort of like the crater effect when a shell lands (it's placed ontop of the ground). With the river contours lower then the surrounding land then the transparent texture/obj wont be higher then the land, add a water sound like the equivilent of walking over a trail. If the player/ai cross above his head then script gasping/death if under for to long. Is this possible, or am I dreaming. :) :(

bigcheese

Re:rivers & tides Idea!?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2004, 22:38:34 »
Pssible - yes

But you've got to ask yourself weather its realy worth it,

I would just stick a normal river in, regardless of the effects on the land around it, the best way to do it would be to have the river bank only just above the surface of the water itself, that way it dosent mess it up too much

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 22:57:07 »
thanks for the feed back, I guess it comes down to how much time do I want to spend. I understand what your saying about dealing with the river bank, sort of what was done on sebnam island. :)

DeLiltMon

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:45:03 »
I say got with the SEB Nam appoach with a propper river and crossing points, that way you can have boats operating on the river too.  :)

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2004, 17:09:20 »
Very good point about the river traffic, I've put the river in. Just one question I have, it's most likely a stupid one. When you preveiw the island does it show the water at high/low or mid tide?

I've started putting the objs on the island, boy this is going to be a big job. :-\.

Yeah I know if it was easy then everyone would be building them. ;)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2004, 22:44:44 »
I suspect that the water is at 0 metres.

The tides can go as high as +5 metres......so build important structures on land higher than 5 metres.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:07:48 »
thanks again for the help

Leone

« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2004, 09:15:34 »
I'm not sure that the preview is at 0m. A good time to test is Midnight, Jan 01. That (IIRC) is high tide.

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2004, 12:43:43 »
Word of caution with the rivers, if you make them crossable by foot soldiers, then boats won't travel past that spot. Best use bridges if you want boats to go all the way up and down the river.

PS: Tides are be a REAL pain.

SelectThis