Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Huge gun bursts and model personnel  (Read 1646 times)

marengo1

Huge gun bursts and model personnel
« on: 17 Jan 2004, 19:08:42 »
  Hello ;D, a simple one here, but so immersed with many tutorials as newbie modeller, now I'm in a state of seeing forest but no trees. >:
  After editing my tga files in PSP, now I can't get the tga file to save back as a .pac file. I tried using texview to change it back to pac from  its tga,/ then jpeg. The file dimensions are correct. Please let me know what I'm OBVIOUSLY neglecting to do[or tool not using] in not getting the pac. back from edited tga/jpeg?  ???
   Also if you can ,throw some more links to personnel modelling my way and if you can ::) outline a 'brief' step by step for personnel modelling. I'm sure there're lotsa newbies like me desiring this
basic info.

"The appearance of law and order must be upheld- even while it's being broken!"

Extreme Studios

Re:Huge gun bursts and model personnel
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2004, 00:20:59 »
You don't make yourself very clear, but i think the answer is that you must have photoshop or paintshop pro (you have psp, photoshop's better). Load you .tga into it, then save it as the highest-quality jpeg. Close down psp, load it up again, and then load your jpeg texture into it :hmm:. Then, save it as a 24-bit .tga file (name doesn't matter, you may want to replace the old one), and just make final checks on whether the proportions are correct. Then, load up the .tga texture in texview. Does it work?

I hope this fixes yur problem!  :thumbsup:

RoryB

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2004, 14:27:13 »
There is set file sizes you need to use, like 32x32 pixels, 64x64 upto... um.. not sure..
There is a list on this forum, somewhere... ::)

I had this problem.. But if the files are the right size, save as a TGA/JPEG/GIF, open them in TexVeiw, and save them as PAA or PAC..
Simple!
- Ben

Extreme Studios

« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2004, 22:41:41 »
Actually, DBR_ONIX, it's a bit more comlicated than that. Marengo2 already has the file dimensions correct. The problem is, jpegs and gifs are unreliable in texview, especially certain builds, so the best way to do it is to open a tga (which is basically a pac or paa file in non-confusing-before-texview form), and the tga's only open if they are converted from jpegs. It's confusing, and i have no idea why it does this.  ???

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2004, 23:09:53 »
I have made texture files before now in PSP.....from scratch......and saved them as tga, not jpg, not gif, just tga.

Then loaded them into Texview and converted to paa and pac.

tga does not need to be derived from a jpg at all.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2004, 03:21:53 »
Same thing for me as Planck except that I used Microsoft Photodraw 2000 for the textures I made.

Perhaps it's the settings you have when saving directly to .tga?  (the advanced settings are set to "convert to: true color" and "compression type: none"  when I save a .tga in Photodraw)

...now I'm in a state of seeing forest but no trees

LOL, I've been there!  

Unfortunatley I don't have any links for personell modeling tuts.  Hopefully someone else does for you!

Asmo

Homefry31464

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2004, 03:54:40 »
I don't want to stop the helping discussion, but is this the correct place to post this?

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2004, 18:34:52 »
Isn't it? I can't see where else.. I don't know :)
Anyway, in PSP I used a 64x64 image, plain..
Saved one as a JPEG, one as a GIF, and one a TGA.. the TGA was the only one that didn't work... ::)

Hmm, it'll prob be wrong.. But... When you right click on a GIF/JPEG file, you get a bunch of file sizes, image sizes, and other stuff like format, colour depth... But with a TGA, all you get is file type : TGA...
Could it be that TexView uses these settings to check file dimensions, and if they aren't blah by blahblah, it shows a blank image... And because TGA doesn't tell what size, textview thinks it wrong, and doesn't show it..
It might be right though, as textview is fairly simple, and in a prog, you could get that info easily.. And it always seems to be simple thing that stop stuff working!
:P

- Ben

Extreme Studios

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2004, 19:05:40 »
If you save a tga from scratch, it WILL work. But, if you download a GIF from the internet and covert it to tga (i'm using Photoshop 7.1 by the way, dunno if this happens in psp) it doesn't load up in texview. I always have to save it as a jpeg first

marengo1

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2004, 00:34:20 »
great...thanks for input everyone.I did eventually make headway...then took a long break from addon hazes..... now I'm ready to get back at it,with a clearer vision of what to do things ;D... Is it absolutely necessary you need to make texture directory alterations via O2[for the p3d files] to get the retexed model up and running in game, or can you just alter the config file in a text editor/notepad?