Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: geometry lods  (Read 1554 times)

gadolinite

geometry lods
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 20:26:52 »
I think geometry lods these are necessary for good addons?  If so, how to you easily apply them for complex models such as aircraft fusalages?

Do you have to name animated objects czech names?

asmodeus

Re:geometry lods
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 21:39:39 »
From the sticky topics at the top of this forum:

http://www.geocities.com/brsseb/index.html

This is a great place to go and learn the basics on geometry lods.  (and yes it is needed for a good addon)

If so, how to you easily apply them for complex models such as aircraft fusalages?

You don't easily do it...   I recommend learning the basics of using geo lod's, then try making it for more complex models afterwards.  

Hope that helps.

Asmo

gadolinite

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:17:00 »
Would this work?  You make a copy of the fusalage that is slightly smaller and call this a geometry lod.  

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:23:45 »
Can't hurt to try it...

However, in my past experience the Geo lod's don't work like they should if they are too complex.  

An example is the EC's Kilo Class Submarine.  We left it unbinarized so I suggest you download it and have a look!  (get it at our site, a link is in my sig)

With our submarine, you need to keep in mind that the geo lod doesn't match up with the other lod's like other addons.  This is because of some workarounds we did to get the sub to work, but you can still see the geo lod and compare it to the others.

When you look at the geo lod you'll notice that it's two simple shapes instead of a lot.  

Let me know if looking at that helps you.   ;)

Asmo

gadolinite

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:35:49 »
What I know about GEO lods is from that crate addon tute.  It works, the lods and all.  Their purpose, from what I hear, is the prevention of 3D models passing through other 3D models.  Uggh, any 3D game should prevent that 100%.  Now I am working on that rifle addon.

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 02:03:14 »
Their purpose, from what I hear, is the prevention of 3D models passing through other 3D models.  Uggh, any 3D game should prevent that 100%.

Congrats!  I started with the crate addon tute as well!  Many thanks to brsseb for making such great tutorials for O2 newbies!   ;D

Now, as far as preventing models passing through each other 100%, that'd not be good because what about when bullets need to pass through the soft part of a Ural truck, or when invisible objects need to be made, etc.   ;)

Good luck with your addon creation!

Asmo

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2004, 00:43:09 »
I assume that would push him towards the fire geo & hitpoints lod  ::) ;D

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2004, 00:45:07 »
Do you have to name animated objects czech names?

no!  :)