Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: newbie question = old probs  (Read 846 times)

Bronco

newbie question = old probs
« on: 01 Dec 2003, 18:56:30 »
Hey guys

Im a huge fan of flashpoint who has never got involved with the community,however better late tahn never i guess  :D.

Anyway ive recently got involved in a OFP mod and have run into problems...ive been informed that these are old probs taht are pretty well known however being new I was wondering if I could have some guidence a sim a little unsure where to look (having checked for tutorials).

Basically I use 3dstudiomax as my main model program,ive made my model,painted the textures in Photoshop,put them into maps of the right sizes (64x64,256x256,256x64 etc etc) and have changed them into .tga format and remapped them in studiomax.
I have oped these .tga files in The texture_viewer and they come out as a block of grey,which is cos of the alpha channel I belive not sure why though(?) Anyway I then save as, Main_top.pac but it comes out as "main_top.pac.paa"...

Im not sure why.

However on we go I then use O2lite and import my .3ds model,having put the textures in the same folder as the .3ds model and only a number of them work. Out of the 12 or so textures I have...about 3 have worked perfectly another 2 all the mapping has gone to pot and all the rest "cannot be found".

Why can't these texture be found?? they are in the same folder as the model or is a problem with my texture formats and alpha channels causing O2 not to find them.

Any help or linsk to info on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John

asmodeus

Re:newbie question = old probs
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2003, 20:54:01 »
A couple suggestions:

Save it as "main_top", texview automatically puts the extension on the end.

If your textures are showing up all grey in texview, I don't think this is a good sign unless they are supposed to be glass textures.

Also, I never texture in anything but O2, so I'm not sure what's involved with your method.

I'd need to look at a few things I have at home to tell you for sure, but maybe this stuff will help you a little bit.

Asmo

Bronco

Re:newbie question = old probs
« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2003, 21:22:25 »
Cheers Asmo

Ill try jsut saving and letting texture_viewer putting the exstentions on.
Also I think the texture_view problem is to do with alpha channals simply becuase when I uncheck "show alpha" the RGB shows as it should,but when i check show alphas back on it goes to this block of grey.....im hoping to tal kto a guy on the team tonight or tomorrow about that one :).

If its any help,ive used a "multi-sub" object material in studiomax and set each part with a material ID and mapped it like that.

Thanks in advance for anymore info Asmo.  :)

John