Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Visitor >< Paintmap ?  (Read 1360 times)

ElemenS

Visitor >< Paintmap ?
« on: 10 Sep 2002, 17:53:14 »
I wonder if visitor is anything like what i would expect it to be:
If you happend to bump into a game called 'Settlers III' and tried the map editor included, well, I bet you loved it.
No wonder.

Just open a map, define the size, pick a tool, brushsize, density,etc. paint grass, sand, any textures, add objects with the same brush, spread or dense forrests, rocky areas, small or big rivers, raise or lower the terrain...

I hope visitor is alike such a painting editor.

What goes for the roads, whatever the system it is they used to do the original islands roads with, i bet my grandma on it wasnt anything like in WRPEDIT.
More like, drop 'waypoints' to determ where the road is about to be created will catch up with.
Like 3 wp's; 1 south, 1 north and 1 northwest results in a straight road from south to north making a 90*deg left turn (1/2 of a junction) and goes straight on left.
the more waypoints, the more places the road will bend itself by = the smoother the curves.

Just add this lil feature to it if any of you bis guys would happen to read this...

:P

Leone

Re:Visitor >< Paintmap ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2002, 18:57:05 »
It would be nice, but I don't think Visitor is quite like that. Many of the textures have "blending" textures in sets of 12...ie TN to PS on Eden. You can bet you life that they created these so they could use them.

Also with roads all the curved pieces have an angle change of 10 degrees...so it wouldn't be a case of picking points and the editor just filling in the blanks....it would overlap pieces then. No I think they did them by hand, but Visitor just makes it way easier.

A good idea for all is to open up one of the game maps, and have a good look...you can see how certain patterns in the roads repeat themselves etc. Very informative about Visitor I think....

Cedaie

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2002, 05:53:20 »
What I'd Like to see in Visitor is:

Grayscale displacement mapping tools, on the spot editing.

possible angular texturing, no cells or any crap.

Soft selection elevation  ;D *drools*

strategic texture selection

yeah!

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2002, 17:00:18 »
What's with the tease about visitor? What's so secret about it? I really don't know, if someone could enlighten me...

Of course, then again, I don't mind paying for good, well made software :) They are probably afraid of rip off's.

Personally, I would have rather have gotten a good terrain editor for my money than Resistance! I am not real happy with OFP:R

I uninstalled it till it is fixed. The campaign was kinda fun though. It's just real buggy. I am not used to getting "finished" products like that. Ok, "whine off" ;)
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?