Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Creating Ground Textures  (Read 1683 times)

m21man

Creating Ground Textures
« on: 04 Nov 2003, 22:56:33 »
OK, I'm sick of begging members of the Mod to make me some ground textures. Could someone with experience making custom textures tell me what tools I should get? Also, some tips on how to start would be appreciated :) .
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2003, 22:57:30 by m21man »

Offline Snake Man

• CWR
  • PMC since 1984
    • PMC Tactical
Re:Creating Ground Textures
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov 2003, 01:14:28 »
Try to find textures from the web (google heh). The utils you need is texview of course and then some free paint utility like PaintShopPro.

If you have talent in graphics department, you are free to draw the textures yourself too of course.
PMC Tactical. ArmA, ArmA 2, ArmA 3, Falcon 4 and OFP.
http://www.pmctactical.org and http://pmc.editing.wiki
Snake Man, PMC.

m21man

« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2003, 02:49:06 »
I've got PSP and TexView, though I was hoping to make my own textures. Maybe Gummi will drop by and give me some tips on how to make textures. Otherwise, I'll try contacting him over e-mail.

In the meantime, does anyone else know how to make good ground textures?

Leone

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2003, 18:45:58 »
Limit the number of base textures (non-blending textures) to a very small number (five is plenty).

Look at photos of the sort of landscape you are trying to make....even grab colours of them.

TRIAL AND GODAMM ERROR!!  ;D

Try to make your textures realistic.....but bland. This usually produces a better result.

m21man

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2003, 02:04:32 »
No, I need advice on how to begin to create the textures. By this, I mean could you to tell me which features in Photoshop I should use to start making textures?
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2003, 02:05:47 by m21man »

Leone

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2003, 04:18:35 »
Just throw some colours around, play around with some blur/sharpen/brush filters......just experiment! Really....just play around. It's fun, you will eventually get a result and you'll learn a lot along the way.  :)

Offline jeffs

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2003, 16:21:34 »
Here's how I started with making textures...

First save some of the stock textures in tga format (texview to tga) then open them up in Photoshop.  Have a look at how they do it.  For example... I wanted a runway on my island that used the standard beach sand versus the one in Novogo.  I layered the Sand then runway and carefully erased the first layer of sand so the other showed up.  Make sense?

For custom textures that cover multiple tiles here's my suggestion.  Figure out how many squares you need.  Open up photoshop and set the resolution to x time 512 pixels and y times 512 pixels.  Where X= the number of squares in width and Y=the number of squares in height.  Draw your textures and transitions.  One you have it looking perfect then slice the image into 512x512 pixels segments.  Publish to web (images only), convert to .paa in texview and enjoy.

(Remeber the images are turned upside down and inside out so if there is any text on the image it will need to be flipped).

Have more questions feel free to email me, or better yet, and easier, let me know what kind of textures you are looking for, maybe I've already made them.

Good Luck.

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #7 on: 05 Dec 2003, 12:06:08 »
It would be cool if you could learn to make new textures M21Man, then we wouldnt have to rely so much on Colombian whose gone AWOL (mailed him a couple of days ago, havent got a response yet, i get the impression hes probably away somewhere (or ignoring us :P)

Im beggining to make weapon textures as well, soon as micke is leaving in that capacity...

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2004, 21:31:46 »
you don't need texview (if you use visitor) just save as truevision targa (.tga) and visitor will change it into .paa

m21man

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2004, 22:48:02 »
you don't need texview (if you use visitor) just save as truevision targa (.tga) and visitor will change it into .paa
I need to get a basic idea how to draw textures in Paint Shop Pro, not worry about texture formats (Besides, I use WrpTool).
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2004, 22:48:45 by m21man »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2004, 08:26:17 »
First of all, you do textures best in Photoshop, not Paint Shop Pro.

Second, I suggest you go find some tute for another editor, like worldcraft(Half-Life, Quake) or GTKRadiant(Call of Duty, Wolfenstein), since it's more likley that you do textures for those games than for OFP. You don't really do textures for OFP until you have "advanced" a bit in OFP knowledge, in those other editors, you do it as a newbie. I learnt making textures for Half-Life, sure, they sucked, but you discover more and more stuff by yourself. All you have to do is read how to make your first texture as a tute, then it just rolls on.

I think I have my first texture somewhere... you gonna laugh...

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat: