Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Laying Runway Textures?...  (Read 747 times)

BoonieRat

Laying Runway Textures?...
« on: 07 Sep 2003, 15:52:10 »
How do I make a runway?. Where do I add the textures to Visitor?. I tried putting them in the textures tool but they came out all wonkey, they created transitionals out of themselves!...

Please help!...

*EDIT* I found a tutorial about how to define a runway once the textures are laid, but I can't lay the textures! Do the runways have to face north(top of map) or is there a way of turning the taxi L turns around 90degrees? How do I lay the textures?. What tool do I use. Like I said, it create transitional textures when I do it with the 'texture' tool  ...

Please! Please help!...
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2003, 15:52:37 by BoonieRat »

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Laying Runway Textures?...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2003, 16:37:23 »
You'll have to define the textures as variant textures of a surface. That means, go to:
tools/textures/select terrain which surrounds runway/select surface that surrounds runway/edit/press the lower add
seek for you textures there.
Place them by pressing only the texture fill. This means the runway will have the properties of the terrain which surfaces variant it is. Or sort of. The sound atleast will be, I think the hardness and dust values stay ok. But you can use cfgSurfaces in the config to make sure.

I took the runway tex from Nogovas northern airport and turned them around in photoshop... just use texview to convert to tga, then twist 'em, then convert back to .paa/.pac. I turned them so that the runway is north/south, that's the only working direction.
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

BoonieRat

« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2003, 10:44:17 »
Ahhh!, variants!, I'll try that out :) . Are'nt the runways facing NS anyway?. OH! you mean the grass ones!...

Do the 'sand'(pt) taxiway textures work if you lay them on grass. Use them to form a taxiway for the grass runway?. Do they blend in?...

Thanks for the help :) ...

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2003, 01:50:57 »
Naw there will be absolutely no blending with variants. So it wouldn't be a wise idea as the edge would look ugly between sand and grass, just straight. And if you'd define the taxiway texture as a variant of another surface, it wouldn't be visible (or the other surfaces variants next to it would disappear).

So it's not worth it trying to manipulate textures in Visitor. I haven't tried but it shouldn't be that hard taking a basic grass texture tga, cutting the taxiway from the sand texture tga and pasting it to the grass one. Only the positioning would be critical.
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

BoonieRat

« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2003, 11:11:35 »
Only the positioning would be critical.

And the LOD's or mipmaps? Whatever they're called! :-\ ...

The AI will only land on north/south runway right?, does the start (the end is 'k' for koneg is'nt it?) have to be at a specific direction?, south or north?, or does'nt it matter as long as the runway points 'straight up & down'?...

Thanx again :) ...