Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Adding Objects - A different method  (Read 1687 times)

Leone

Adding Objects - A different method
« on: 07 Sep 2002, 20:04:54 »
After fooling around with WRP for a while it bcomes very clear that placing objects in a map is a VERY time consuming process, with roads being the stand out for time wastage. I have developed a "shortcut" for this process (and works for any BIS object of course). Note - this is using vanilla OFP, as for Resistance...no idea, but it should work.

You will need Kegetys Addon that allows you to add all BIS objects into the Mission Editor (http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com/dsnippets/kegaddon.htm)...(why dont you have this already?) and an island fully textured and PBO'd.

Very simply all you do is use the mission editor to add in all the objects (I recommend one "class" at a time ie roads first, then forests, then towns etc...more on this further down). This allows you to COPY AND PASTE...which WRPEdit doesn't. Also the preview options are WAY better than WRPEdit...after all, you need to be able to drive along a road to really get a feel for it....

1. So get two pieces of road, line them up exactly, then copy and paste away...etc etc.

2. Once your sprawling network of highways is finished save the mission (just as a good ol' User mission).

3. Crack open the SQM file. There are all your perfectly placed objects, with their exact positions and azimuts. Leave this open.

4. Now go into WRPEdit, open up the WRP file of the island.

5. Add a new object.

6. Copy the X value of the first item from the SQM and paste into the X value of your new object in WRPEdit. Do not worry about the billion decial places....WRPEdit will cut it down to 2 automatically.

7. Repeat for the Z value.

8. Repeat for the Aizmut value.

9. Most objects you will want as "Fit To Ground" but if you don't, then copy the Y value as well. Hit OK. There is your object perfectly "copied" from the Mission editor into WRPEdit. Easy!

10. Repeat for every single damm object (this could be ThOUSANDS!....like the map I am making at present), until your map is finished!

11. Save this off as a differently named island..ie MyIslandROADS. Make up your config.cpp file and PBO the lot.

12. Put it in your Addons folder, boot up the OFP Mission Editor, and now do some trees......etc etc. This way each "layer" is built one at a time, and you can still change the roads once you have finished the trees (by a little bit of renaming).

Like I said it is a "shortcut". But it allows easier previewing, and FAR greater speed in construction. Of course there is a lot of cutting and pasting but it should be worth the result. This tute however is of course completely useless for small islands with low object count........but if I see one more Desert Island which is 12.8kmX12.8km of nothing but sand....

So this should hopefully help some of you...now I want something in return :) I have tried to make this whole process WAY shorter still by transforming all of the object data from the SQM into something that the config.cpp (for your map)can read without crashing the game....but with no success. It wants the objects "defined" etc etc. So if some Codemaster (!) can work out a way to get objects from the SQM into a CPP, with minimal copying and pasting (as much as I like it)...and post it here....I would be very grateful as I am sure everyone else would be.

Happy hunting.

Leone

Re:Adding Objects - A different method
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2002, 20:13:23 »
Ok the Kegetys link doesn't work...this one better http://koti.mbnet.fi/stede/flashpoint/

Otherwise search it up yourself...what am I...your Momma? ;)

Cedaie

« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2002, 02:59:09 »
I, think I'll just wait for Visitor.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2002, 05:48:55 »
I think I'll just wait for you guys islands ;D

I tried to start one, even had the terrain (just textures) looking good. Too hard for me dudes! More power to you :wave:
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?