Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Guess what...i got a question  (Read 942 times)

Offline Delta Hawk

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Guess what...i got a question
« on: 17 Sep 2003, 00:24:35 »
hey, how many faces it too many for a gun.  I got a pretty good gun model that's 2144 faces.  will that lag if it has good textures?

Nemesis_1

Re:Guess what...i got a question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2003, 17:05:30 »
prolly not:a gun is a rellative small item and the faces are even smaller
but i'm not entirely shure though :-\

Tigg@lot

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2003, 20:59:47 »
This Thread is about poly count but I think it contains a good reference on the number of faces to use.
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=12793;start=0

Offline Delta Hawk

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2003, 23:47:49 »
i knew this was going to happen...now i have to fix it.  any suggestions? i still want to make it detail, but computer friendly esp. for people who have shitty computers...like me :-\

BUNTRO

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2003, 13:53:43 »
There are many ways in which to knock down your poly count a bit.  If the program you are using is like Milkshape, there might be a command to reduce the number of polies on your model.  If it doesn't, there are a few steps that you can use next time you model, or even try to put into this model if you want to edit it.

1)  When making a barrel or whatever else that is round, use as few sections as possible and try to keep the pieces (this defines whether it is a hexagon or an octogon) to a minimum.

2) Whenever possible, use squares and simple objects like pyramids and such to make your model.

3) Textures work wonders at showing detail.  If you follow the above step, you can make your model look completely round even if it is one giant block!

BRSSEB has some great tutorials on how to make weapons.  I believe he also has some tips on keeping your poly count low, but I haven't read it in a while so I'm not sure.  Anyways, check it out at the following site!

http://ofp.info/brsseb/

BUNTRO  :beat: