Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Un-Impossible Mission  (Read 75453 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Impossible Mission
« Reply #90 on: 19 Jul 2004, 20:31:00 »
Great utility.  

I took out all references to objects1 in the mission.sqm.

For the mission I now get:
No entry 'Config.bin/CfgVehicles.Bush10'

and the intro:
No entry 'Config.bin/CfgVehicles.Tree21'

I worked backwards through this thread to get the latest version of the mission (Kaliyuga's post on 24 June) and downloaded the editor addon referred to in the readme file.

I guess this is a beta test of the readme file as well
 :)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #91 on: 19 Jul 2004, 21:33:27 »
Right.

Sorry about all this folks, though I suppose that's what beta testing is for.    ;D

I have formally upgraded myself to General Barron's addon editor - a long overdue move and a good one - which means in the new version all of this is definitely and finally solved.      Finding the objects that were causing the problem was  ... um ... well shall we say that it was marginally less fun than sexual intercourse.   It turned out that after I solved this last time I accidentally added some new problem objects, which is why hacking the mission.sqm didn't work.

As a temporary fix the easiest thing is probably to get objects1.pbo from the Ed Depot here.    Chuck it in the addons folder, it won't conflict with Kegetys addon editor though I'm not sure how it gets on with General Barrons.    Or better still, just wait till I get the new version up.

Which is easier said that done because those wankers at freewebs have canned my site without reason or notice and they're not responding to me emails, so I've got nowhere to post the new version pro tem.    Grrrr.   Working on it.

Edit:  we're expecting to have a link up by close of play today Monday Rocky Mountain time-ish.    

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2004, 23:01:12 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Kaliyuga

« Reply #92 on: 19 Jul 2004, 23:06:02 »
Here you go everyone  ;D  , I replaced the earlier version I had uploaded with the new one to save on space

http://members.cox.net/kaliyugadesigns/UnImpossible_Mission_0_56.zip

:toocool:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #93 on: 19 Jul 2004, 23:14:48 »
Thanks Kali!  :thumbsup:    Your OBE is in the post.

I've got a very basic site up at geocities here.    However when you try and d/l the file it says "We are unable to process your request at this time."   ::)  Yes I have uploaded the file ... but I've done enough for one night.

New version is 0-56.    Change list:-

Solved editor addon (objects1.pbo) problem
Removed stupid NVG thing from Intro
Few minor tweaks to Intro
Tidied up readme
Improved roadblock

I have tested it with both General Barron's and Kegetys' editor addons and it worked fine.     I hope that you can all report the same.   ;D

Edit:   THobson I've just realised you're not in the readme.   :-[    ..... Fixed.  

Edit:   The d/l from my poxy site is working now.  I think they just imposed a delay.   I got 60kb/s.

To summarise, you need the mission and General Barron's Editor Addon.  AFAIK Kegetys' editor addon will work fine.    OFP 1.91 or higher.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2004, 01:30:18 by macguba »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Un-Impossible Mission
« Reply #94 on: 24 Jul 2004, 20:37:03 »
Uh, OK. I think I'm quite forced to try it out now then. Shiiiiiiite. Haven't played OFP for 2 weeks or so and I'm gonna start with this mission. Ugh. You make me sad macca, I wanna kill ppl in Soldiers that I got today man. ;D
Aaah, it's for my own good, I have to keep my reputation of best Impossible Mission player up. Yeah. 8)
I'll try it out tomorrow. Apocalypse Now Redux is on telly in 2 minutes. 53 minutes more stuff. Napalm. Ugh ugh.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #95 on: 26 Jul 2004, 14:25:47 »
Thanks Armsty, looking forward to the report of your death ... innumerable times.   ;D

I have beta tested 12 missions in the last few weeks, some of them several times.    They are:-

Nocturnal
Destroy weapons cache
Liberation of nogova
Shatterpoint1986
Embassy defence
Desert dessert  
Defensive strike
Desert ambush
Airborne bridge assault
Fighting back
Checkpoint Charlie
Colonel Sanders

Of the authors concerned only two (ponq and THobson, thank you chaps) have attempted my mission.    In the week since the latest version was posted there have been no comments at all.    

Now I don't necessarily expect every single one of these authors to play my mission.   Some will test the missions of other people, and it may be the authors of those missions who, in turn, test mine.    In other cases my beta test was only a couple of days ago and the author has not had the opportunity to respond.   However I do expect every single one of those authors to beta test somebody's mission, even if it isn't mine.

And it's not just me.  For example, Calamity has not had much luck in getting testers (I can't because my comp doesn't get along with 'Nam stuff) in spite of getting out and doing some testing himself.    There are too many people who are happy to benefit from this board but have not put anything back.    It's not as if beta testing was difficult.    If you haven't done it before all you have to do is play the mission and mention any points that come to mind.   Just telling the story of what you did can be helpful to the mission designer.    You don't have to write an essay - even a single comment can be valuable.

The point is that we are all in this together:    if your mission has been tested by the community it is only fair to return the favour.    If we all do our bit then what goes around, comes around, and everybody's mission gets properly tested.

Remember OFPEC's slogan:-

By[/i][/u] the community, for[/i] the community.

Un-Impossible Mission v0-56
mirror

General Barron's Editor Addon.  AFAIK Kegetys' editor addon will work fine.

OFP 1.91 or higher.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2004, 14:50:30 by macguba »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #96 on: 26 Jul 2004, 14:55:44 »
*bump*

See last post.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2004, 14:56:45 by macguba »

Rapter

« Reply #97 on: 26 Jul 2004, 15:55:46 »
Had a go at this. Died twice ::) - Thinking about it thats probably good for me

First time got wiped out at the start.
Second all but one guy was killed by a grenade wielding maniac who was soon cured ;D, started moving up the hill, did not see much until the very top when i crawled next to a sniper although i could hear m2a2s and a cobra. Started killing the enemy as they came running towards me (shooting the legs). Was killed by a AA guy >:( then the last survivor had his head demolished as well.
So this is a very hard mission (although I am sure i would have done better without the lag)

One major problem I had was on some attempts it would CTD with no errors (could be my fault), I disabled ECP and it worked ok.

j-man

« Reply #98 on: 26 Jul 2004, 18:02:45 »
Tried this one out. Can't report much since I died in 1 minute in the 5 times I tried :P I'll keep chipping at it until I actually get somewhere. Sounds like a fun mission though.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #99 on: 26 Jul 2004, 18:10:57 »
Chaps, Thanks for downloading.  :thumbsup:      It is meant to be very hard.   ;D    (Check the readme for the story behind the mission.)    The secret at the beginning is either to make a run for it and hope for the best, or to hit the dirt and make an all round defence.    It is usually possible to get away from the start alive with few or no casualties to your squad.

Rapter, I haven't had any problems with ECP but I'll look into it.   It does fiddle with some ECP settings.

I am aware of the lag issue:  the new version is considerably better.  In the meantime its probably best to turn off ECP and maybe lower your settings a bit:  you don't need viewdistance higher than 500 till well into the mission.

The best news is that the editor addon problem seems to be licked, since neither of you had any trouble.  :D

I hope to post a new reduced lag version tomorrow.

If you get fed up of dying IM me and I'll tell you how to activate the stupendous cheat that I use for testing purposes.  Shhhhhh .......[/color]
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2004, 18:36:53 by macguba »

Rapter

« Reply #100 on: 26 Jul 2004, 18:37:49 »
I tried it again with ECP and it did start but crashed when I pressed escape. I think it may be something to do with me not your mission.
Just remembered I messed around with ECP a bit ago so that may be it.

Nice atmosphere though.

Tarados Qeng

« Reply #101 on: 26 Jul 2004, 18:46:16 »
Okay macguba, I try to dl it now. I just haven't had much time lately and I have a 56k modem... Okay, stopping the excuses and trying it now. ;)

Edit; Get "download error" messages. Geocities problems? Gonna try it again tomorrow.
Edit2; Yes, the mirror works. Gonna play it NOW!
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2004, 10:11:35 by Tarados Qeng »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #102 on: 26 Jul 2004, 19:13:42 »
Aw crapolo. Sorry macca, I just didn't got time. Besides I'm lazy. And reachin for the OFP CD is very much work. I'll see when I come around grabbin' for it. And I'll slap thoes muddabitches who haven't tested your mission but you tested thems. :P

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #103 on: 26 Jul 2004, 19:58:45 »
No worries, Armsty, there will be plenty more versions for you to test.    8)

Raptor, there is nothing in the mission that should conflict with ECP - there are lots of scripts but they are very small and simple.

Tarados Qeng you're right, it won't d/l.   Dunno why - the file is there and I'm supposed to have a bandwidth limit of 3gig a month so there's no problem there.    Try again later, or use the mirror Kaliyuga kindly provided.      Or test one of the untested missions on this board (like Calamity's).    What goes around, comes around.   ;)

Rapter

« Reply #104 on: 26 Jul 2004, 20:55:28 »
Re-tried the mission with a fresh ECP install and it worked brilliantly, the lag was much less this time and I encountered more enemies. Did not reach the hill this time as I was killed by an M2A2 who was hiding behind the one I just blew up. So it seems the problems I had were all my doing, typical. ::).