Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to save Oxygen 3D Models to a smaller size?  (Read 1037 times)

Frosty

How to save Oxygen 3D Models to a smaller size?
« on: 10 Jul 2003, 02:29:13 »
Alright, I haven't been here for awhile, but what I want to know is how can I save my 3D Models, which are, say 5 MB, to a smaller format? I know there are two formats of 3D Models which Oxygen uses: ODOL and MDOL (at least I think). Oxygen Light saves only to one of them I think. The other Oxygen Light cannot import. TextureP3D cannot read models saved in Oxygen Light.

My question is how can I save my 3D Models in O2Light to the format which is smaller and TextureP3D can read?

_hammy_

Re:How to save Oxygen 3D Models to a smaller size?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2003, 07:19:27 »
correct me if im wrong, but texturep3d was released a long long time ago, ver 1.20? and it was used for REPLACING textures in a model with new ones, so you cant save it in "texturep3d format" just use o2 to texture your model as "texturep3d" does not work and it is very out dated.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2003, 09:50:12 »
Binarize will do the conversion which I beleive makes it smaller

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2003, 12:30:47 »
correct me if im wrong, but texturep3d was released a long long time ago, ver 1.20? and it was used for REPLACING textures in a model with new ones, so you cant save it in "texturep3d format" just use o2 to texture your model as "texturep3d" does not work and it is very out dated.

if you change the texture folder in oxygen dont you have to apply it to EVERY face in the 3D Model, or is there another way? Cos when I try to change the textures in an O2Light model i have to apply the changed texture to every face of the model.

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2003, 18:46:54 »
Use Binarize to convert the MLOD models to the smaller more efficient ODOL format (make backups first!).

O2 only opens MLOD.

A few ways to change the texture folder depending on format of the model.

MLOD:
-in O2:
Ctrl double click LMB on a texture in the texture library
Open face properties
Bottom right of that window is the texture, use the folder icon to find your new texture
repeat for each texture you want to change, for all lods.

- hex editor
you can use a hex editor to replace the path info. Limitation is that the number of letters in the new path MUST be the same as for the old path

eg
\stt_klr\texture.paa
can be changed to
\stt_xxx\texture.paa
or to
\stt_xxxttt\ture.paa

In ODOL format
Hexeditor works well here, no limitations on number of letters.

SelectThis

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2003, 02:04:51 »
Thanks STT! That was a very helpful post. However, I already knew that you cant edit an MLOD model in a hexeditor and add extra letter, I unfortunately learnt that through experience ;).

But, how is the texture library opened in O2? Is that the same as the face properties.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2003, 02:06:11 by Frosty »

Lt.Shitkilla

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2003, 13:44:17 »
Is there any way to convert the smaller file to the version that O2 can open? convert the already binarised file to the O2 compliant version?? ODOL to MLOD

Lt. Shitkilla

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2003, 22:39:26 »
If you want to change the texture folder you have to change the path to each of the textures already on your model

Cntl + click on a texture in the texture window

This will select all faces with that texture in that Lod

Right click in a window

Press 'E'

At the bottom there will be a path\texturename

change the path.

Press apply

repeat for all textures in all Lods.

If theres a quicker way I donlt know it
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2003, 22:39:48 by ScouseJedi »
'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore