Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: problem with elevation of dems imported to wrpedit  (Read 3050 times)

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
problem with elevation of dems imported to wrpedit
« on: 24 Aug 2002, 09:05:58 »
I can get the dem data into wrpedit with out a problem my problem is that it seems to be flat once placed into wrpedit but when editing in terragen or wilbur the elevation is shown.

lanchong

Re:problem with elevation of dems imported to wrpedit
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2002, 12:51:56 »
Maybe you have forgotten to click on Set to pixel button when exporting from Wilbur. Check the Z min and max when exporting to .TXT.

Lanchong

hiddenfox

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2002, 20:41:00 »
i downloaded a DEM file that was a zip and it just has a few DDF files in it and no DEM file

SFG

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2002, 21:12:57 »
Go to Edit: select all elevations.. then go to your landscape tab hit scale and type 2 then hit. change and you will see it begin to rise :)

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2002, 21:54:23 »
hey hiddenfox you need to get microdem at www.nadn.navy.mil/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdemdown.htm and merge thoose files together dont matter if they say dem for the merge when you have microdem you need to click on options maps and set your default UTM zone and hemisphere north south east west which you can get at this website http://www.ofpojr.info/images/utmworld.gif also under options units set locations to UTM. Once that is done you need to click on the IN/OUT tab up top and select merge then dems should have box to find your dems put the directory there and then start with the first file you have listed in your directory that you opened the tar.gz file into.  click on all of thoose files until you have the last one done and tell it cancel because you have no more to add to that map.  now give name for it to save and it will say close dem just say yes. close that editing box that came up when you clicked IN/OUT then click open from the top and click dem then pick the dem that you saved after you merged them. There is your first done dem now you should have picked a land area that had 2 dems.  you should now do the same for the other half when that is done you will have both sides done and have 2 dems then do the same thing for thoose 2 dems that you did with all the other files to merge them. Once you have done that you will have your whole picture of the 2 areas you selected joined together. Make sure you use that tutorial on http://www.ofp-ojr.info/wrp.html to do the rest. If ya need more help just post a message..

SFG

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2002, 22:04:49 »
trinec.. did what i said work for you?

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2002, 22:58:28 »
ok i guess i should have specified more with my question but I tried the scale operation all it looked like it did was raise the edges of the map up but the actual hills that are supppose to be there from the dem are not just the terrain markings from the dem are there but no elevation seems like all the editing i do is raise the edges of the map up so that when you walk to the edge of the island you have a huge drop off and water way down below :-[

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2002, 23:23:13 »
ok it looks like lanchong is right with the z levels i set the maximum to 700 and it raised the elevation up alot but how do you keep the sides of the island from being up so high from the water any hints? the area is real mountanous area.

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2002, 23:59:31 »
ok looks like the scale command works thanks SFG and now the only problem left is the area around the edges of the map to make it level with the sea any ideas?

Offline trinec

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2002, 00:20:34 »
ok looks like when i scaled it in wrpedit it actually left the lower areas that are suppose to be lower elevation. so now there is an entry point onto the island by water on at least one side and the other areas that are mountanous are right but i wouldnt jump off edge hehe but ive not seen any of the weird errors at the edges as before so thanks for all the help.

SFG

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 01:08:29 »
Select all Elevations again then hit the up down thing and put -20 or so untill it goes underground then make water :)