Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Custom NVG's  (Read 1518 times)

Rubble_Maker

Custom NVG's
« on: 17 Apr 2003, 18:10:15 »
Hi

is it possible to define custom NVG's for a unit? For post 1985 units the original NVGs just aren't realistic anymore; a modern NVG gives far better visual quality.

thx in advance

CrunchyFrog

Re:Custom NVG's
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2003, 21:04:18 »
n00b

Offline Jahve

• Former Staff
    • Jahwerks
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2003, 13:07:24 »
read what crunchy said.. that's a "NO"

MJHergenroder

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2003, 03:03:58 »
Yes, it is possible, but if NVG addons cannot be "patched" in addon config, you could give user option of replacing realistic high res NVG.  You just need to replace in-game NVG with yours by giving users automatic batch file that de-pbo's their data3d.pbo, replaces the NVG model with yours and then pbo's it back up.  Kegetys did this with his amazing sky mod.  If you do this...download Keg's sky mod to see how process works and to get batch installer to modify.  Since replacing NVG in O2, you can change textures to whatever you want (you don't have to use texture references to data.pbo NVG).  I strongly suggest you use DDS DXT3 textures instead of PAA or JPG, but if your overlay requires more than the most basic transparency, use PAA/PAC.  All mods should use DDS, it provides 16 times the color of PAA with only 2x the size, and who knows what PAA is like in VRAM--does it get decompressed...DDS doesn't.

Baphomet

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2003, 06:36:20 »
There's no need for anyone to be a reactionary turd about it. Sheesh, it's like those guys in the 1985 forums where if you happen to use any vowels or consonants or any punctuation that has been used in a previous post, you'll get bitched.

Leone

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2003, 23:11:15 »
Paa and pac remain compressed in VRAM....that's why BIS went with it.....and it's fugly!

DDS DXT3 would be fine, except it's not an easily accessable format such as tga or jpg. And who knows if the OFP engine would even read such a texture (I sort of doubt it).

MJHergenroder

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2003, 11:40:09 »
Just after writing my post, got some info from Keg's that PAC is DDS DXT1 with different headers.  DXT3 is minimal desired quality, but OFP doesn't support it...  PAC is reportedly 12 bit color (4096 colors... as opposed to 16,000+ offered by JPG).  Didn't realize how bad OFP color fidelity is until I tried doing a sky gradient and converting to PAC--extemely horrible banding.  JPG doesn't support mip maps, has longer load time at level start, is uncompressed in VRAM, but I think it is better option to achieve 16X color fidelity vs. PAC.

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2003, 13:54:26 »
Well thx for the replies. Anyone knows a config.cpp command to specify which screen resource it uses for the NVGs? Coz I dont wanna change the whole game, only specify new NVGs for a single unit.

Leone

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2003, 19:21:08 »
If you mean the textures that the NVG uses to give you that green fuzzy look they are:

night_sum.01.paa (Fuzziness)
night_sum.02.paa  "
night_sum.03.paa  "
night_sum.04.paa  "
night_sum.05.paa  "
nightvisiontl.paa  ("Scope")

and can be found in Data/Data.pbo  :)

andersgrim

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2003, 21:24:57 »
That will only give you the textures - not the green view.
And even if you have those textures, it's impossible for you to config your own nvg's. Actually the optic textures (which you listed) is the only thing you do not need to know if/when trying to make custom nvg's... :P

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2003, 21:31:05 »
n00b

not really the atitude we come to expect at OFPEC
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Mr_Shady

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2003, 22:39:25 »
Jackal326 (SJB) has made a unit with animated NVGs, but they still use the same "view." I think the addon's in the addons depot.

imemyself

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2003, 05:36:41 »