Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Corel PP9 and transparent Alphas?  (Read 966 times)

Fulcrum

Corel PP9 and transparent Alphas?
« on: 02 Jun 2003, 01:28:51 »
Anyone out there use Corel Photo-Paint 9 and kno how to make transparent textures via alphas?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, or even if it's possible.  Also, Photoshop and Painshop Pro tutorials don't help.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:Corel PP9 and transparent Alphas?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2003, 23:53:04 »
Don't know yer graphix program there, m8  ::) but if its to any help, try and simply copy/paste an already made BIS pic with transparency  :)

just set the alpha to "edit" before copying, and then paste the crap into yer own image.

Fulcrum

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2003, 05:06:22 »
No use.  Corel doesn't allow pasting of things in the alpha channel.

vektorboson

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2003, 21:13:35 »
Anyone out there use Corel Photo-Paint 9 and kno how to make transparent textures via alphas?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, or even if it's possible.  Also, Photoshop and Painshop Pro tutorials don't help.

Hi,

I use Photo-Paint 8 and had the same question  ;)

Well, I can't help you really since I have the German version, but I'll try. Alpha Channel in PP is nothing other than the "mask". So, everytime you mask some area (or mark) in your picture, you apply an alpha channel. You can see this, when you save a masked picture as PNG and load it in a browser. The non-masked areas are not visible.

So, you can create an alpha channel map and all you have to do, is to load a mask from this file. Then save your picture as TGA and try it in TexView or O2. If it doesn't work there, try to save the picture as PNG and open it in The Gimp (this is freely available) and save it as TGA without Compression. Then you can open it in TexView for sure  :D
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2003, 21:16:03 by vektorboson »

Fulcrum

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2003, 01:26:01 »
vektorboson, thanks for the help, but no go.  I have noticed that masks appear in the alpha channel, and even tried saving it like you said (I can make regular textures), but the .tga files won't load in texview.  I also tried your advice on Gimp, and ended up with the same results.

Is there anyway you could perhaps explain this in further depth?  There must be something I'm missing that I'm not aware of.

vektorboson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2003, 23:39:59 »
vektorboson, thanks for the help, but no go.  I have noticed that masks appear in the alpha channel, and even tried saving it like you said (I can make regular textures), but the .tga files won't load in texview.  I also tried your advice on Gimp, and ended up with the same results.

Is there anyway you could perhaps explain this in further depth?  There must be something I'm missing that I'm not aware of.

I think that you have to save it in Corel without Compression, too. But this should've GIMP cleared away. I don't know how to help you further, since this is how I make it, and there is nothing more.