Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Using jpg as textures - any experience?  (Read 972 times)

Rubble_Maker

Using jpg as textures - any experience?
« on: 11 Jun 2003, 00:35:06 »
Hi

I know Suma has officially advise people to not use jpg's as textures because it would add too much lag, but has anybody tried how much lag it really gives?

I'm just curios because its hard to stick with the ugly PAA/PAC format... ;)
Maybe a few jpg's wouldn't be too hard for the engine to swallow, and the increase in visual quality might justify it.

Leone

Re:Using jpg as textures - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2003, 10:38:26 »
PAA and PAC format remain compressed in VGA (video card) memory, JPG doesn't. That's why a lag increase. Just think if everyone just "added a few" jpgs......lag city! It's not that it would be bad on one addon........but on all addons... :o

You might find people steer away from your addon if you use jpgs...

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2003, 18:21:59 »
Hi

interesting what you say here: The lag is not caused by additional cpu power required to decompress the jpeg's, but by additional memory requirements.

so on 3D cards that don't support DirectX texture compression, the jpg's could even be faster.

But I agree: Though it'd be perfectly acceptable to have *one* addon that uses some jpeg's, it'd invite many many others to follow the same way and finally wreck the game.

beowulf2014

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2003, 07:45:36 »
does this also apply to flags in a game? cause ive always just used jpg for this...should i go with .paa???

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2003, 15:46:21 »
Don't worry - there're will hardly be any mission with more than 2 or maybe 5 flags, so this really doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter if you use .paa or .jpg for screen resources. The jpg can only become a problem if used on an object that occurs many many times in a mission, like a tank or airplane. Then the lag might add up and make the game unplayable.